mindbending

Author Topic: Old Songs and Singers  (Read 38146 times)

ColonelMac

• Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler
Old Songs and Singers
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »
Welcome To The Place Where Musical Memories Live

Hello Central, Give Me No Man's Land

I am also something of a Musicologist.  Over the past few years, I have been collecting instrumental versions, both in MIDI and MP3 format, of these old tunes.  I currently have around 300 song files.

PurposeThe purpose of this section of Sing Share is to make available any and all of my songs for anyone interested in singing them.  I have created a special storage account at DivShare.com and have uploaded most of my song files to that account.  In addition to these, I have a collection of over 500 piano rolls in MIDI format.

How It Works First of all, I invite and encourage everyone to download my Master lyrics file:

Master Lyrics File

Qualifier- As the name indicates, this is my Master file.  In some cases, there will be lyrics for songs I INTEND to get around to, but for which I've never found the music.  But, if you want to sing it, we'll do our best to get the music for it.  Or, I'll try and make you a special backing.

Sharing Song Files The way we will pass song files back and forth and share our songs is via Box.net, an online service that allows sending large files that are too large to attach to an email.  The LITE account is FREE.  You can open an account at:

www.box.net

Sharing Your Songs

Audacity Tutorial

Toss Up

Special Backings - Should you think of a song that you would like to sing that is NOT in my master file and is NOT on SingSnap or Red Karaoke, I may be able to make you a special backing.  There is NO CHARGE for this.  Just give me the name of the song and the artist.

Click Notify - Simply click Notify at the top or bottom of the page and you'll get an email any time someone posts a message or a song.  There's no need to come back and check for any activity.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:14:58 PM by ColonelMac »

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Re: Old Songs and Singers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:09:38 AM »
Hi there Rich!  I'm excited about this new thread and will be keeping an eye out for you... I love this song, it's very beautiful and sad, and I am so glad you put it up on youtube...

Hope you get many, many lovely visitors up there and of course down here!

EXCITING things about to happen here folks... keep watching!
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner

Doobtones

• Upright Meterstick Ruler
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 08:04:57 PM »
I think that's the first time I heard this one!  I love the job you did with the video--it "syncs" up well with the lyrics.  Very touching, that's for sure.  I will be checking out this section, and trying to figure out the technical aspects. 

ColonelMac

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:22:50 PM »
If you missed it in the introductory post, here is the link to obtain the lyrics file:

Master Lyrics File
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:08:09 PM by ColonelMac »

JeninOz

• Host
  • Prolific Cerebrationist Zentimetre Ruler
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:28:41 AM »
Hi Rich ...I really hope I can figure this out as it sounds wonderful, I've downloaded the Mac version of Audacity ...but I guess I could use Garage Band which is on our computer, but which I am equally clueless about! Maybe now is the time to experiment  :) fingers crossed!
travel photos & blog: www.planetranger.com/casjen

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened." ...Buddha

ColonelMac

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 10:31:23 AM »
Jenny,

Yes, any recording program will do.  I just mentioned Audacity because that's the one I found 3 years ago and have been using ever since.

Good luck. 

JeninOz

• Host
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »
OK ...so can I please have the music for 'Some Enchanted Evening' & I'll give it a go after figuring out the tech stuff ...after dinner ... I need fuel for this tech stuff ...hey don't expect quick results here man!

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened." ...Buddha

ColonelMac

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »
Ha, Ha.  Just my luck.  The very first request is for one that I found the lyrics for, but never got around to finding the music.   ;D

But, since it's my good friend Jenny, I FOUND it.  I think this is a very pretty piano rendition.

enchant_.mid - DivShare

Because this is in MIDI format, rather than audio, if you need it in another key, I can do that for you.  Just tell me which way to go DOWN or UP, and how many 1/2 steps.

JeninOz

• Host
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »
oooh thanks Rich, that was quick! ...now I have to consult Bruce's notes he gave me ages ago on Garage Band. The key is fine, & I love that piano music to bits. Ta muchly!!I hope I can get it to work.

JeninOz

• Host
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 01:42:23 AM »
I got the track onto GB but have to figure out the vocals ...later ...lots to see here today!

JeninOz

• Host
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
grrrr ...I have a recording but the link didn't work ...just as well it's raining! Help Rich!! how do I get it off DivShare & onto here???????

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:16:35 PM by JeninOz »

ColonelMac

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
Hmmmm.  Well, I'm not sure.  To be honest I just started using DivShare over the weekend when 4shared seemed to have been hacked into.  We couldn't access our accounts at all.

I know that Janet told me the first time she tried to download the lyrics file from DivShare, the link didn't seem to work.  So, I uploaded the file again and the link now seems to work fine since you were able to download it.

In DivShare, there is a page called Member's Dashboard that lists all the files you've uploaded for storage.  If you go there and click on that file, it will take you to the download page.  That's the link you want to paste here.

Hope that helps.  If not, we'll try another service.  There are others, like YouSendIt, that are also free.  Only drawback is that the link only stays active for a few days.  But, that may be a better solution for what we're trying to do.

I know Janet will also see this and perhaps she'll have some other ideas.

JeninOz

• Host
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 03:24:35 PM »
...just removed the link that didn't work to save confusion
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:56:15 AM by JeninOz »

ColonelMac

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 03:36:14 PM »
Well, the link seemed to work fine.  It took me to the "countdown" page, but every time it gets to Zero and the download is supposed to start, it gives Internal Server Error.

This must be a problem with DivShare.

The other thing I noticed is the file extension.  It is saved as a .aif file.  That is probably the file extension for GB raw files.  Any of us who don't have GB will not be able to open and play it.

Since I'm not familiar with that program, doesn't GB give you an option to save your file in MP3 format?  That's the way they should be saved to be passed along.  Most recording programs also give the option of saving in WAV format.  But, those files are HUGE and take a long time to download.  For instance, a 3.5 MB file in MP3 will be almost 20 MB in WAV.

That's one reason I recommended Audacity because with the LAME MP3 encoder, you can save in MP3 format.

Other than that, I don't have a clue what's happening on DivShare. 

ColonelMac

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »
Jenny,

I just went and tried to download my OWN files from DivShare and got the same Internal Server Error.  So, it is definitely a problem within DivShare.

As I said, you can also go to YouSendIt.com.  It's specifically designed to send large files.  It will ask you for an email address of the person you want to send it to.  Just send it to yourself temporarily.  Then, you can go back in and get the actual link to the file that can be posted here.

Sorry for all this, but I guess that's the way of new ideas.  :)

JeninOz

• Host
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »
First the link took me back to download it again, then when I went back in it just started playing ...now it wants to download again ...I don't know!! I've since made an mp3 of it so might have to put that one on instead ...bed-time now though!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:23:32 AM by JeninOz »

ColonelMac

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »
OK. I've got to get back on the road.  Will check later.

ColonelMac

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »
I've gone back up to the guidelines section and revised it to show that we will use YouSendIt instead of DivShare.  I had not used my account in so long that I had to open a new one.  That made it good, so I could provide the steps for you.  Just scroll back up and read them in my introductory post.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

CerebralJam

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »
Hello up there!  I've just managed to get round to reading some of what has been going on and I'm sorry I wasn't here for you earlier.  Truth is, I've been here all day!!!   ;D

But locked in the basement... I've spent quite a few days in there lately, I even moved my bed to there...

You seem to have sorted something out so that is good.

What I have noticed is the Divshare now is supported by Aeva - a mod we have on here to allow you to just paste the url and it does the rest for youtube and other video places including some audio - last mentioned last.fm and divshare in an upgrade I need to go snatch.

Part of my time in the gubbings has been working out how to install the security upgrades for the forum as they were coming out empty packages and yay!  I did it, so I am well chuffed... then I moved on to the next project which is near completion muwhahahahahha!  :D

So, it looks like Divshare had a problem?  Not sure if that is right but I will come back to you as soon as possible with any news I hear.

I also heard from my friend on a computer forum who runs a security business, told him about 4shared and he was looking into that.  For those of you that didn't know 4shared was hacked the other day and you couldn't gain access, you were instead diverted.  I took all the links out of here as a precaution (but I'll turn them back on as soon as I can get round to it).

Yes, I am told it is back up and running again now so those of you with songs there phew!

Right, I gotta go back in my cave!  Seeya! :P

ColonelMac

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »
Well, so far we've had some visitors, but only Jenny, Doobs, and Janet have let us know they stopped by.  Hopefully some of those who checked out our little group clicked Notify so they'll see this.

Here's the first Toss Up.  The song is "Dinah", written by Harry Akst, with lyrics by Sam Lewis and Joe Young in 1925.

Many, many singers have done this song.  One of the earliest was Ethel Waters in 1926.  I'm providing this one so you'll know how the verse melody goes.

Ethel Waters and the Plantation Orchestra - Dinah (1926)

The trick to this one is going to be getting the phrasing right, especially in the bridge. I will also say that I could only find the first verse.  This piano roll plays through the verse melody between choruses.

Dinah Lyrics

Dinah

As I mentioned earlier, these links will stay active for 7 days.  I hope someone will give this one a try.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 10:02:43 PM by ColonelMac »

JeninOz

• Host
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
 http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/bccd9ca4
Some Enchanted Evening ...Finally got the widget on here ... I can't hear it but others can ... weird ....!!  ???
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:53:01 AM by JeninOz »

ColonelMac

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »
YEAH!!!!!!!

Now we're COOKIN'. 

Jenny will now always have the honor of being the very first singer here.  And, what a sing it was!!!!!!!  Terrific.

Now, we gotta spread the word.  Come and get to sing songs that are NOT in the SingSnap database or are restricted or limited to chorus only.

Great job, Jen.  Thanks for being "fustest".

ColonelMac

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
For all those who have visited and clicked Notify, just want to update you on the new method for sharing files.  An RK friend in Spain turned me on to another FREE online sharing service called Box.net. 

I've opened an account and uploaded the Master Lyrics File there and changed the link up above in the opening post of the thread.

When you post a link to Box.net, you can either simply listen or you can download the song, just as with 4shared.  I think this just might work.

As of now, the links to the Toss Up song "Dinah" have expired and that Toss Up is over.  I'll come up with another and share it with you shortly.

CerebralJam

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 07:37:11 PM »
For all those who have visited and clicked Notify, just want to update you on the new method for sharing files.  An RK friend in Spain turned me on to another FREE online sharing service called Box.net. 

I've opened an account and uploaded the Master Lyrics File there and changed the link up above in the opening post of the thread.

When you post a link to Box.net, you can either simply listen or you can download the song, just as with 4shared.  I think this just might work.

As of now, the links to the Toss Up song "Dinah" have expired and that Toss Up is over.  I'll come up with another and share it with you shortly.

Was just looking at Box.net will add to our file sharing and online resources thread - thanks Rich... :-)

ColonelMac

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 07:50:45 PM »
Here's a new Toss Up for anyone and everyone who'd like to give it a try.

This one's a most famous song from the movie Casablanca.  Most have only ever heard it as a ballad.  This particular version is from my collection of piano rolls done by a gentleman named J. Lawrence Cook.  He was the chief roll player/maker for the QRS Piano Roll Company for over 50 years.  His particular style was playing what was called "Stride Piano" and all of his rolls are very much played in this same manner.

In order to get you started, I'll tell you that this one begins with the chorus and then uses the verse as a bridge, coming back to the chorus to complete the song.

As Time Goes By- Music

For those who might not yet have downloaded the Master Lyrics file, here is the link to download the lyric sheet:

As Time Goes By-Lyrics