mindbending

Author Topic: SingSnap Expatriates  (Read 6827 times)

captain_skeptical

• Stick Insect Metronomic Fledgling Ruler
Re: SingSnap Expatriates
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »
Hi all

This is my first post here.  I am Michaela by the way.

Has anyone read the book 'Spontaneous Evolution' by Bruce Lipton?

I recently finished reading it and I learned a lot from it.  I used to believe in Darwinian materialism and randomness of the world but now I don't anymore and I am so happy about it.

Lipton is a scientist and he brings sciences called epigenetics, quantum physics and fractal geometry (not that brill at maths, it is some kind of different geometry which moves on from Euklidean geometry) together in his book.

There is loads in this book but what I took away from it is that everything, single cells, you and me, the earth and the universe are part of a 'field', call it God if you like a personal relationship, or universal life force or universal love or whatever makes sense to you.

He uses science to show that here is intention behind evolution, i.e. intelligent design, it is NOT random.

Darwin theory brought us the survival of the fittest and with it competition.  Now the world needs to move on to co-operation which is the next stage of our evolution.  It means working together, we are all in this together, kind of thing, rather 'them and us', I am better than you, etc.

This is kind of simplified, the book is full of beautiful insights, but I thought I share a little bit with you.

Michaela
If his book actually proves intelligent design I will be surprised. Many have claimed to have done so like Behe, but have failed. Since I have not heard of any published papers by this fellow in science journals, yet he still wrote a book, I am skeptical as to how it could be more than just his unproven speculations. But I will read it if I can find it in the library.

BronxBruce

• Administrator
  • Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »
Haven't read the book.

I'm more curious as to why the possibility that randomness is involved in our existence is so disturbing to people that they need proof of intention.

captain_skeptical

• Stick Insect Metronomic Fledgling Ruler
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 05:12:52 AM »
Haven't read the book.

I'm more curious as to why the possibility that randomness is involved in our existence is so disturbing to people that they need proof of intention.
I think it stems from the general publics misunderstanding of the mechanics of evolution. It is popularly believed that evolution is a purely random process, and so the cannot see how order could arrive from complete randomness. They do not understand that the process of natural selection serves to guide the process towards order without intention or intelligence.

Jubi

• Host
  • Prolific Cerebrationist Zentimetre Ruler
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 02:59:34 AM »
Well Free, I see you and I do not agree at all.  But then I didn't expect it either.  No biggie, lol.  As my daughter says, great minds think for themselves.  And that is definitely what you and I are doing. 

I don't see God as semi anything. I veiw him as a caring God who is "all" of both factors.   He just wants to connect with us.  I find that a very positive thing rather than a distant God who just creates and coldly leaves us alone.  I can't see any power or warmth in that thought.

I am so out of tune with most views in this thread.  But I thank all of you for tolerating my perspective.  Guess my brain needed a little exercise.  It was a nice intellectual jog :))

Hi Michaela and welcome.  That book sounds very interesting.  You have my curiousity going.  I would also agree with the intelligent design theory. 
To accept yourself is to love yourself :)

Freethinkingman

• Upright Meterstick Ruler
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 06:39:43 AM »
Intelligent design is neither.

Freethinkingman

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 07:08:18 AM »
Jubi, I do not see myself as a great mind, but I do think I am an inquiring one, and free of concretion. I know how comforting it is to believe that there is a benign being out on the ether ( though Einstein disproved the ether ) looking lovingly down upon us and guiding us toward his eternal kingdom of peace and plenty. I once held to the same view. I do not now find that it improved my life at all, and I do not find that my life is now lessened for having given up the life of faith. 

Sonsi

• Baby Grand Rhythm Stick Ruler
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 12:53:38 PM »

Perhaps the idea of randomness is disturbing to some because we feel special among all the different forms of life that are around us. We have emotions that sciences can't explain, even if you described the chemical prosses involved when emotions strike us. The explanation given by sciences would never match what we (humans) feel. Its my point of view because as you know I am very emotional. I don't feel disturbed by thinking of the randomness you talk about but I must confess I would find that hard to believe.

Suave 8)

Freethinkingman

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
i think that it is better to modify the statement that "we have emotions that sciences can't explain" to the more accurate view that "we have emotions that sciences can't explain satisfactorily to me", especially since you follow your observation with the caveat that science indeed does explain emotions through the auspices of brain chemistry. as far as we know, when the chemical processes in our brains cease, our emotions cease, as does our consciousness. i can live with that. well, i can live with it until i die anyway.

Freethinkingman

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 12:12:52 PM »
since this is the singsnap expatriates thread, i would like to rehijack the thread to post a link to a forum on the subject, which has only recently been formed. the moderator would likely appreciate a couple of testimonies, if you have any. thank you...

http://shutyourpiehole.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1