mindbending

Author Topic: Americans and Civics  (Read 3040 times)

BronxBruce

• Administrator
  • Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler
Americans and Civics
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »
Former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor revealed on The Daily Show last night that although 75% of Americans can name at least one American Idol judge, only 33% of Americans can name all 3 branches of our government!

For the record, it's Executive, Legislative and Judicial.

BronxBruce

• Administrator
Re: Americans and Civics
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
If I recall, former Vice-President Darth Vader, umm, I mean Dick Cheney, claimed that he was part of both the Executive and the Legislative branch. So, if you don't know a lot about our government, don't feel bad. You can rise to the 2nd most powerful office in the land and still not know much. For the record, the VP is part of the Executive branch, not the Legislative.

Take the Civics Literacy test and let us know how you did.
http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

Jubi

• Host
  • Prolific Cerebrationist Zentimetre Ruler
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 03:44:43 AM »
Huggs Bruce,

I dare not take that test, lol.  I would soooooooo fail.  I am not into politics very much but love hearing other's views and see if they click with mine.  Who knows maybe I will learn something.  So ya'll rave on, I will be listening :D
To accept yourself is to love yourself :)

sneezymonkey

• Stick Insect Metronomic Fledgling Ruler
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »
Mama told me not to come..... but I just didn't listen..

Daniela4Luv

• Host
  • Prolific Cerebrationist Zentimetre Ruler
  • Dani
    • The Secret Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 03:59:39 AM »
I scored bad. I don't deserve to be an American. I should just leave the Unite States.

"I am a musical poet for every song that I sing. Lyrically speaking, that is..."

w_benjamin

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
I got 31 out of 33..., 93.94 %.  I should'a known the one about FDR. Grrrrr........
Sometimes I think the surest sign intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

BronxBruce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:14:10 PM »
Got the same score as you, Wade. Missed an obvious one too.

w_benjamin

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:54:47 PM »
What's scary is that the average is somewhere around 74%. That means to counter ours, either a lot of people are scoring less than that, or a few people are scoring WAY less than that. Brings to mind that woman in Florida who called 911 because the McDonald's she was at was out of chicken nuggets and wouldn't refund her money.
Sometimes I think the surest sign intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

BronxBruce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:27:45 AM »
Well, if you read my original post, only 1/3 of Americans can name the 3 branches of our government!

Adam

• Baby Grand Rhythm Stick Ruler
    • Adam on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
Take the Civics Literacy test and let us know how you did.
http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

Am I the only one who found this little "quiz" tendentious?  I was thinking "push-poll" by about the 5th question.

This isn't the first time that site's been suggested to me.  I was curious about the blandly-named Intercollegiate Studies Institute and its "non-partisan" self-presentation, so I looked at its funding page.  By and large, it's a list of right-wing neoconservative, libertarian, and Evangelical foundations--Googling most any of them leads you into the network of usual suspects like Richard Scaife, Paul Weyrich, Brent Bozell, AEI, Heritage, Cato, etc.   

Given the way I've seen that crowd operate in my lifetime, I think I'll leave it to someone else to instruct me on things like the separation of Church and State, or free-market economics, or the best books to read, or the proper teaching of "our American Heritage"...Say, someone with fewer and smaller axes to grind.

Si vox est, canta!
  -- Ovid, Ars Amatoria

werewoof

• Host
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 04:37:38 AM »
I agree with Adam about it being more or less a "push poll"

I also found it interesting that most of the questions I missed tended to be more "opinion based" rather than "fact based"
Singing is like love,  it should come from the heart, without fear of reproach or rejection

BronxBruce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »
Adam, I didn't feel such an issue got in the way of answering the questions. I am not of like mind with those people but still saw most of the questions as fairly straightforward, with one or two possible exceptions.