Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 1892 times)

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner

Yunice

• Stick Insect Metronomic Fledgling Ruler
Re: UK Election 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »
The UK election results of 2010 has left the UK without Government at all. The UK election outcome was a hung parliament. What that means is that not one party running obtained a considerable enough volume of votes to become elected. Even though one party did obtain probably the most votes, it was not high enough in comparison to that party's competition. There has not been a hung parliament since 1974. In 1974 it took 8 months for that country to resolve the issue, so now people worry that they could go quite a while without a leading Government.

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Re: UK Election 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
Good Morning Yunice, and welcome...

I should have been updating this thread - it has been an interesting and at one point very exciting time.  As you say this situation hasn't arisen since 1974 and only once before then in 1929.

The apathy of the British public to exercise their vote may well have lead to this situation and now all we can do is watch and hope the new Coalition actually does something.  As a young person who grew up in the Heath/Thatcher years I have too many memories of struggle and strikes.  So, I'm not altogether overjoyed.

Only just catching up with the news but I have mainly been following BBC News, The Guardian and Channel 4 updates as we went through those extraordinary up in the air days when it actually looked like Labour might get a deal with Lib/Dem.

Live Coverage - Election 2010 They are currently talking about the Market and Employment situation - this is worrying times, especially with the new demands that Lib/Dem want in increasing the spending budget.

Channel 4 offered the public an interesting vote on what kind of coalition they would like to see Con/Lib Lib/Lab Minority Con or none.  Last time I saw it - the voting was 62% Lib/Dem and only 30% Con/Lib...

It is no good us moaning now because like I said, if people actually used their vote - we might have had a different result.  It will be interesting to see what Lib/Dem can do with a Referendum on the voting system, I really hope we get something different and a breakthrough here.

Amazing how quick we do finally get things in place with the new Government, and I was also amazed as I didn't know that Cameron keeps the same staff as Brown had! 

Anyway... good to see you, be interested to see what your views are, what you would like to have seen, what you hope for the future.

Me, whilst I do not like the option of a Conservative government, (understatement of the year) I think the voting was a wake up call, 15 years of one party gets stale and we have just been going through a world impacting recession.   For me, the hung parliament means Conservatives will have to listen to Lib/Dem, they can't be smug... and the British people.

And Labour, wow, what a shake up, they have to find a new leader - not sure about the contenders - how strong they are and how much liked.  What I do like about our modern age is the way we are able to communicate/interact live and immediately.  Clegg took his time, and played a little maybe?  Let's hope good things come out of this, one way or another.  This could make or break Lib/Dems too... Whatever happens, these are very tense times in the UK.

Cameron is our youngest Prime Minister at 43 years of age.

We have history in the making in more than one way... I'd like to see Cameron and Clegg sharing No.10 as a residence, bit like Big Brother heh... THAT would be fun.

OMG.  I just realised I'm older than the Prime Minister!  Now that is worrying :D

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner