mindbending

Author Topic: Article: Terror and Academic Freedom  (Read 1070 times)

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Article: Terror and Academic Freedom
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:53:47 AM »
You know, I feel nervous about even posting this... but found it an interesting article none the less and the comments that follow.

How do you feel?  Would it be better that terrorism is made part of a larger Historical/political study course or does it have a place as a singular subject?

Whilst it immediately makes one uneasy - even the title, what other ways are there of counteracting terrorism if people do not study closely what the causes/motives are - I'm kinda at a loss at the moment as to how I feel - trying to be open to reasoned arguments even in my own head beyond the inborn and possibly not altogether rational fear I personally hold.

Anyway - thought I'd drop it in here for discussion... I know most posts go unnoticed but even if it leads you to think, like it did me - that I guess is a productive result.

You can broaden discussion to be non specific if you wish, to academic freedom and study of the controversial - where do you draw the line... and what funding should be made available?

Hmm.

The Guardian - Article re Terror and Academic Freedom
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner