Author Topic: Haiti...  (Read 1256 times)

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Haiti...
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »
Just been reading the BBC news on the situation in Leogane and the epicentre of the quake...

"...The UN says up to 80-90% of buildings in Leogane, about 19km (12 miles) west of Port-au-Prince, have been destroyed.   ..."

"...Nearly every house was destroyed here. The military are talking about 20,000 to 30,000 dead.   ..."

"...A UN official has said aid workers are dealing with a disaster "like no other" in UN memory because the country had been "decapitated". ..."

Destruction at epicentre of Haiti is extreme

So very, very tragic...

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner

TracyB

• Host
  • Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler
  • just wants to be your everything
Re: Haiti...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »
I donated money through UMCOR, the relief arm of the United Methodist Church, then heard that one of the leaders of that program was working in Haiti prior to the earthquake and died at the hotel where he was staying.  So many people who can't get treated for their injuries or even get water.  It's just a terrible situation. 
"Go with your heart, buddy.  Our brains only screw things up."  Chuck from Chuck

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Re: Haiti...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 01:59:33 AM »
Tracy I know what you mean... to be honest I've tried not to immerse myself in the news because it is so devastating in many ways.  But I am amazed by these peoples courage.  Watching an interview with one woman who is half lying like she about to give birth - sitting upright and saying with a strong voice and no self pity - almost a smile but not... "both my legs are broken"... it just doesn't bear thinking about, I doubt she has any pain relief and yet there she sat like she was just waiting to have some simple action taken.

The image in the clip I posted of the wee baby who just looks serene - she is injured and it is clearly not good but you cannot help but feel a little hope for her in her wee world of not knowing - that everything will turn out okay.

I hope people don't mind me posting news about this... I don't think there is much we can say at times like these but understanding their plight is important.

I have just read this and whoa.  Unimaginable the total loss of connection - one can't help but feel the trauma of their memories - not saying goodbye - guilt, loss.

No Room In The Cemetery

Something as simple as death we cannot always plan for - or afford.  For some people they didn't just lose one member but whole families... I just can't get my head round this... I know we've seen large scale disaster before, and have no doubt we will see it again, but each time we do, a little bit more hits home of how fragile life is.

EDIT:  Just realised how confused I am... the post above shows the woman interviewed with the broken legs... the clip I spoke of re the wee baby is here - I posted on Facebook sorry...

Haiti Water Crisis I had been alarmed at how folks under such desperate conditions were struggling to 'buy' water... :(

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:05:32 AM by CerebralJam »
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner