mindbending

Author Topic: Broadband tax included in pre-Budget report  (Read 1841 times)

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Broadband tax included in pre-Budget report
« on: December 10, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »
Is nothing sacred?   :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8403273.stm#id8400000/8404200/8404253

I'm in an area which cannot provide the speed the line/ISP says it is capable of because of the age of the exchange - ie I can get up to 24mbps on my contract but actually only get 5mbps... but having said that, doing this does not create incentive and enterprise for businesses to sit on the back of the government stuffing more taxes at us to ensure BT do what it should be doing anyway!

Chances are the increase in jobs will be more call centres overseas and more nuisance pre-recorded calls. 

BT is already over-priced.

Argggh.
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner

marrylhyn07

• Stick Insect Metronomic Fledgling Ruler
Re: Broadband tax included in pre-Budget report
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:37:19 AM »
I have found out in Filing Back Taxes that the government's controversial broadband tax has been given the green light pre-Budget report. Is it good or bad especially to public?

Jubi

• Host
  • Prolific Cerebrationist Zentimetre Ruler
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:35:11 AM »
(((I feel for you Janet))) 

We are about to get taxed to the max with this Health Care Reform as well.  We were just informed by our accountant that we will have to pay $2800 on our income tax.  Last year we got a refund.  But thanks to the Obama stimulus package, they took out next to nothing on my federeal income tax through out the year.  I know this because I saw the difference shortly after the stimulus package was approved.  So we owe dearly now and are furious about it.  I even jumped down from three dependents to just one under the withholdings hoping they would take out more. 

I will just sit here and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr with you.
To accept yourself is to love yourself :)

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
Heh, hello Jubi :)  Well, looking at the last budget that just happened it will be happening for sure - but they also pledged to get more people connected - and if this is accomplished I guess the tax will be well spent.  I love that the library has access, and well my pet love as you know is browsing the net - so if it allows more folks to see the glory of a fuller world and improve on education - it has to be good.

I really hope they do update the exchanges.  Between that and the very poor television reception we get here (so much for improving all the digital facilities and moving into the digital age) there's a lot to be desired.

When you say what you have to pay out for things and especially on health I can truly count my blessings.
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner

BronxBruce

• Administrator
  • Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »
(((I feel for you Janet))) 

We are about to get taxed to the max with this Health Care Reform as well.  We were just informed by our accountant that we will have to pay $2800 on our income tax.  Last year we got a refund.  But thanks to the Obama stimulus package, they took out next to nothing on my federeal income tax through out the year.  I know this because I saw the difference shortly after the stimulus package was approved.  So we owe dearly now and are furious about it.  I even jumped down from three dependents to just one under the withholdings hoping they would take out more. 

I will just sit here and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr with you.

There was absolutely nothing in the stimulus package that would raise your taxes, Jubi. In fact, taxes did not go up at all this year for anyone, they went down. I have no idea what your personal situation is, but it has nothing to do with national policy. If you didn't get a refund, most likely it's because you paid less during the year, and I believe that's what you said. It's BETTER to pay less during the year then get a big refund. It means the government is not holding on to your money. The only problem is if you under report earnings, in which case you can pay a penalty. But that should never happen if your accountant and you are on top of things. The only number you should be looking at is Total Tax Paid. Whether or not you get a refund is inconsequential.

Jubi

• Host
  • Prolific Cerebrationist Zentimetre Ruler
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:58:22 PM »
Bruce,

I got this information from my accountant and the human resources department where I work.  We asked personally why this happened, they both quoted the same thing.  And no, they don't know each other, lol.

This is their explanation.  The stimulus package drastically reduced the amount of federal tax taken out of my pay check (giving me more money throughout the year).  It is my understanding that if you don't pay in enough taxes throughout the year, then you pay at the end of the year.  Yes, we will get a refund from state, but we owe Federal many pretty pennies.

Our accountant is getting numerous cases like this very similiar to ours.  It can't be mere coincidence that this happened to so many other people during the year that package was approved.  So yes, I believe it is connected to the stimulus package. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:28:00 AM by Jubi »
To accept yourself is to love yourself :)