mindbending

Author Topic: Firearms Regulations and locality  (Read 1405 times)

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Firearms Regulations and locality
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »
MSPs to get power from Westminster to ban air guns

I don't know how things are done in America but over here most things are decided in Westminster.  However since devolution it makes sense to give the governing powers in the smaller nations more control over things like this.

I don't see it so much in Dunfermline but when we lived in Saline (rural - old coal mining village/farming)  young teenagers (as young as 13-14) were free to carry air guns, and there are controlled firing ranges not so far away. 

Andrew Morton's case - BBC news - older:

Man Convicted of Toddler's Murder

I know there are responsible owners of air guns too.

Recent article Airgun death tot's mum reveals graveside promise to have weapons banned

Don't read the Daily Record - but was searching for something more up to date.

Easterhouse  is a largely populated area in Glasgow which has had its problems.

Anyhow - wondered what your thoughts were.
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner

werewoof

• Host
  • Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler
Re: Firearms Regulations and locality
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:49:18 PM »
The point is,   if someone is going to murder someone else, banning guns will not deter them.  They will just find a different means of achieving their end.  Over here we just had a case of a dirtbag who was angry because his girlfriend had a baby by a different father ( before they started dating)  he hated that baby because of what it represented, and one day during a heated argument with her- he grabbed the baby, jumped in his car and tossed the baby out the window while on the expressway, killing the baby.

If your argument is to ban guns because of the possibility of accidental deaths,  then you better also ban all automobiles, power tools, chicken bones, stairways, bodies of water where someone might drown, household electrical outlets, knives,  etc,etc,etc, ad nauseum....

The argument of banning guns to keep them out of the hands of criminals has already been proven to be completely ridiculous again and again and again and again..   The criminals will always have access to illegal things,,, that's why they are called "criminals".

The sad fact is.  Horrible things happen.  horrible people do horrible things,  stupid people do stupid things, innocent people suffer every day from things that in retrospect could have been prevented. (the key word there being RETROSPECT) The world is not a safe place, and will never be a safe place regardless of what laws people attempt to enact.

The idea that we can prevent a stupid person from doing a stupid thing, or prevent an evil person from doing an evil thing, or prevent a misguided person from causing an accident, by taking away whatever tool or device we feel they might use to do those things is utterly incomprehensible.

What ever happened to simply holding people accountable for their own actions ?

Anyway Janet.. this is simply my view on this subject. Please don't think that I am not saddened and angered by the sensless death of a baby. I am mortified by it!

But banning bb guns and air guns is not the solution.
Singing is like love,  it should come from the heart, without fear of reproach or rejection

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Re: Firearms Regulations and locality
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »
Hmmm thanks Woof...

If your argument is to ban guns because of the possibility of accidental deaths,  then you better also ban all automobiles, power tools, chicken bones, stairways, bodies of water where someone might drown, household electrical outlets, knives,  etc,etc,etc, ad nauseum....

Not sure that was my argument, I think, and I know I confuse people cos I am so easily thrown at a tangent - the brain does not stop where it is, it has to wander.  My argument was a) should things like this be governed more locally?  Ie rural vs city - (nation); reason, need to have?  and b) more controlled ownership?

The argument of banning guns to keep them out of the hands of criminals has already been proven to be completely ridiculous again and again and again and again..
  Not over here.  It seems to work quite well.  I know there will be incidents.   I suppose it depends if you are talking about gangster type activity/underground stuff or plain everyday situations.

Over here guns are just not prevalent.  So news like this is doubly shocking.

I don't agree with your simplistic view about 'accidental death' none of the things you have used as an illustration are used in the same way as a gun, you can't really accidentally shoot someone in that way - unless on training/sport area where people might not be aware of the danger ... you have to pick up the gun, you have to aim and fire.  Chocking on a chicken bone is not pre-empted - nor are most traffic accidents - most people try to go round people.  Sad fact is, teenagers do find it fun to have an air gun and yes, point it at stuff - including animals... cats were a prime target.  It's a matter of ignorance, and in my personal opinion, a weapon should not be available to anyone not mature enough or responsible enough to use it sensibly.  'Weapon' seems a weird word to be endorsing?

However, age did not seem to be the problem  here, but maturity most definitely was.

Just found this blog and it kinda leaves me nervous - people get so excited about this sort of stuff in a cold way - how many can I get?  - How many do you really need?  Why?...

Free Market Fairy Tales

Hmm

Interesting what they say about the Olympics 2012 here:

Gun Politics - Wikipedia
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner