Author Topic: Lockerbie Bomber to be set free?  (Read 2185 times)

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
Lockerbie Bomber to be set free?
« on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:28 AM »
Lockerbie Bomber to be told Fate
Believe me when I say I am a compassionate person, I'm very anti death sentence and punishment which serves as revenge rather than justice, or a sentence because there's nowhere else to put people, but to me this is all wrong.

I understand that he is terminally ill.  BUT, an atrocity such as the likes of Lockerbie where 270 innocent people were instanteously killed - could have been more where the plane ploughed into houses in the area, cannot be treated in this way.

I remember this event very clearly; it is along a stretch of Motorway I have often travelled - every time I went down South to visit family, we actually passed the burned out area, visibly. 

Eight years is far too little regardless of the circumstances.  Don't know, but doesn't this allow for precedents to be created when terminal illness issues arise?  I am not looking at this from a personal perspective to one man, but the implications of all future terrorism/deliberate life taking actions.

I am sorry that his life is about to end, but still think, provision should be made for family to visit him where he is, and he is made medically 'comfortable' to the degree that all other people terminally ill are respected - I doubt he will notice whether he dies in prison or in Libya if he is at that stage in his illness.

There are so many issues this raises.
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner

CerebralJam

• Administrator
Re: Lockerbie Bomber to be set free?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
I still don't understand this...

Anger at Lockerbie bomber welcome

And now the Queen is going to visit?  Possibly?  WHY?
 :(

Well, looks like he certainly got the glory welcome that was expected... if he is innocent, I'm sorry, but if he is not, what on earth is going on?

Bomber release: What happens now?

Shrugs shoulders...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:15:23 PM by CerebralJam »

Adam

• Baby Grand Rhythm Stick Ruler
    • Adam on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:52:53 PM »
I don't get it either.  The hero's welcome thing was an awful spectacle...and none of the people on that plane got the luxury of spending their last moments in the comfort of home.  Even if they were set on compassionate release they could simply have put him in hospice in Scotland.

Si vox est, canta!
  -- Ovid, Ars Amatoria

CerebralJam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:27:46 AM »
Thanks Adam... I was beginning to worry that I was overly sensitive or otherwise insensitive...

tomac

• Most people die with all their music still inside
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:38:48 PM »
Janet- You aren't overly sensitive. I was horrified, but not that surprised by his hero's welcome back home. I think the Scot and Brit govt. had tried to prevent that as best they could by asking assurances that Gadafi wouldn't allow it, but got chumped when off course the assurances weren't honored-big surprise there...   Call me a cynic, but that's the risk governments take when they make deals with dictators, as I heard they did with Gadafi, and expect them to do the right and agreed thing when the deal is only being made with said dictator in order to preserve valued trade relations with that country. At least that's what I heard on the BBC world news was the real reason behind the release deal, the trade relations.

Reminds me so much of how the US govt. has looked the other way for decades on human rights abuses in China because it so much more important to keep buying their cheap crap made there while exporting our jobs and borrowing from their treasury to finance our debt.

CerebralJam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 08:28:13 AM »
Hi Tom... news from Saturday I missed... yeah, I'm not very good at keeping up to date... but...

Straw Admits Lockerbie Trade Link - Sept 5th

SNP defeated over bomber release - Sept 2nd
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:33:06 AM by CerebralJam »

tomac

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »
Hi Tom... news from Saturday I missed... yeah, I'm not very good at keeping up to date... but...

Straw Admits Lockerbie Trade Link - Sept 5th

SNP defeated over bomber release - Sept 2nd

Janet- Thanks for the posting the links. Man, I love being proved right on something, more than few other things in the world. As for the Scots voting out the party that agreed to the deal, good for them! I for one, would feel very betrayed by both the British govt. and the Scot leader for making that deal. I'm curious how you personally feel about it Janet. BTW, my wife and I saw a stage play a few years ago about the bombing and its aftermath called The Women Of Lockerbie. Very intense and moving show but not as depressing as I expected. Have you heard of it? I think the main theme of it was that it was saying that the people of that town, esp. the women, wanted the Americans who were visiting the town (in the play) after the bombing and trial had already taken place, that they felt America was partly to blame for the event with its "cowboy foreign policy and imperialism in the Middle East", but that they mainly wanted a chance to begin the healing of their town by washing the clothing of the bombing victims and returning the clothing articles to the families of the victims.

I can only imagine that the bomber's release, his hero's welcome in Libya, and the revelation of the deal that led to it will set back that healing quite a bit in the short term.

CerebralJam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:09:55 PM »
Sorry Tom, been elsewhere with stuff and not kept up with the threads.  My personal opinion?  He should have stayed where he was.

I haven't seen the film you mention.  I only remember the shock of it all happening.  Those were surely strange times with the whole world feeling uneasy. 

tomac

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 11:43:50 PM »
Sorry Tom, been elsewhere with stuff and not kept up with the threads.  My personal opinion?  He should have stayed where he was.

I haven't seen the film you mention.  I only remember the shock of it all happening.  Those were surely strange times with the whole world feeling uneasy.

It' understandable that the show slipped by your radar with the emotional circumstances. It was a stage play, not a movie, and it may well have been first produced in America before coming to the UK or Scotland. I dunno, one of us could probably research it by Googling the show's title.