mindbending

Author Topic: Iowa high court legalizes gay marriage in state  (Read 5685 times)

BronxBruce

• Administrator
  • Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler
Iowa high court legalizes gay marriage in state
« on: April 03, 2009, 07:32:52 PM »
Big news today with a state right in the middle of America's heartland legalizing gay marriage. It has been my belief all along that the courts will continue to hand down such decisions and that, in time, gay marriage will become accepted. It's hard to believe that Iowa would legalize gay marriage while a state like California would not, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the courts overturn last year's Proposition 8.

The thing is, like it or not, it's hard to explain how banning 10% of the population from getting marred could possibly be considered constitutional. Even more important, though many Americans continue to oppose gay marriage, their sense of fair play will eventually convince most of them to accept it.

Iowa high court legalizes gay marriage in state

tomac

• Baby Grand Rhythm Stick Ruler
  • Most people die with all their music still inside
Re: Iowa high court legalizes gay marriage in state
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:13:51 PM »
Yup, Bruce, it made me proud to be a lifelong Iowan. Between this and the smoking ban in public places it finally feels like my state is joining the civilized world and in some cases getting on the front of it. My church has several gay couples in it and I'm very happy for them. The couple that was able to get married during the brief window between the district court ruling and the injunction the next day that put everything on hold until today's ruling has visited my church a few times and they were treated like honored guests.

An older gay couple got that have been together for decades and are friends of my wife and I got married-while this was in legal limbo-at our church a while ago and there was of course a huge turnout. Today's ruling goes into effect in 21 days so by month's end their marriage will now be legal and official. I sent them a congrats e-mail today and will see them Sun.. They own a restuarant here.

CerebralJam

• Administrator
  • Almighty Blethering Dipstick!
  • Everyone's a fluffy one!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 06:16:08 PM »
I meant to say the other day when I read this, what a very hopeful bit of news this is.

I hope California in light of this, does a rethink too.  :-)
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser. John W Gardner

BronxBruce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:38:15 PM »
Get ready for the flood gates to open, folks.

Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override
Vermont Legalizes Gay Marriage

CerebralJam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
Yay! 

BronxBruce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 07:10:55 PM »

CerebralJam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
Yay!

That "Yay" sounded a bit gay.

Whoops!  Sorry!  Spokes in a lower tone, don's lumberjack shirt - Yo!

Edit:  Um.  Speaks?

tomac

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:06:17 AM »
It's interesting that back in Singsnapland, not a word has been said on the boards about either of these developments. One way to read it is that the last time gay rights were debated there for weeks a conscensus was reached that it seemed pointless to discuss those things on their boards, but my personal opinion is that an equal factor these days is the fact that almost all the liberals from that Poli board have either come here or quit being active at all on the SS board. Which now seems very depressing to visit and see all the seething hate directed at Obama along with domination of the threads by conservatives.

And now, back to your usual positive discussion.......

werewoof

• Host
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:19:30 AM »
Hi Tom!  Good to see another Iowan here in these new hallowed halls!

I think I can offer a little bit of insight that may answer Bruce's query about how a conservative state like Iowa would uphold gay marraige but a liberal state like California would make it illegal.

What happened in California as well as Florida, is the fact that the Mormon Church spent millions of dollars in a media blitz (mostly in Cali)  absolutely flooding the airwaves, newspapers, pretty much every outlet available all directed at drumming up support for the anti gay marraige ammendment.

It worked.

They apparantly felt that Iowa, being such a conservative state,  was already in their "back pocket" so to speak, and didn't feel they needed to spend any of their ad money there.

Thankfully they failed to count on Iowans being such clear-headed, sensible, real people.

I'm really not much of a fan of Obama, or the democrats in general, but hopefully this administration will make some strides towards giving gay people a few of the the rights that the rest of us enjoy as well as protecting women's right to make choices about their own bodies.
Singing is like love,  it should come from the heart, without fear of reproach or rejection

BronxBruce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:13:11 AM »
It's interesting that back in Singsnapland, not a word has been said on the boards about either of these developments. One way to read it is that the last time gay rights were debated there for weeks a conscensus was reached that it seemed pointless to discuss those things on their boards, but my personal opinion is that an equal factor these days is the fact that almost all the liberals from that Poli board have either come here or quit being active at all on the SS board. Which now seems very depressing to visit and see all the seething hate directed at Obama along with domination of the threads by conservatives.

I'll say it. I don't mind. The discussion boards on Snap are not my cup of tea. That's why we hoped to create a place where disagreeing doesn't mean being disagreeable. We are, here on Sing-share, equal parts conservatives, liberals and moderates. But we treat each other with respect. And do not start dissing each other because we don't agree on every issue. That's how it is in life with my friends and me and I sure hope it continues to be that way here.

For example, Woof doesn't like Woody Allen movies. I LOVE Woody Allen movies. I don't hate Woof for it. I don't think he's crazy, either (well, maybe a little). I disagree with him but I still dig the guy. I just wouldn't let him choose a movie for us to watch if we were hanging out some night. Viva La Difference!

tomac

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »
Lol on the Woody Allen comments! I've lived in Iowa all my life so, theoretically I shouldn't "get" Allen's unique New York sense of humor, much less really enjoy it the way my NY native wife does, but I always have, esp. his early movies like Bananas, etc.

Everybody's different and that's ok, I agree. Still adjusting to being here and having been bounced (at least a bit early) out of SS, but it'll work out. Still have some work to do on not being defensive about conflicts the way that is the norm on the SS Poli board. I like the way folks here are comfortable in sticking their neck out and expressing support and even agreement where it occurs for others who are clearly on the other side of the ideological spectrum, unlike SS where there is generally a degree of rabid partisianship almost like in Congress. Where no one sides with someone from the other camp for fear of looking disloyal to their tribe or even worse, would risk being shunned or even criticized for supporting someone from the other side.

werewoof

• Host
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »

For example, Woof doesn't like Woody Allen movies. I LOVE Woody Allen movies. I don't hate Woof for it. I don't think he's crazy, either (well, maybe a little). I disagree with him but I still dig the guy. I just wouldn't let him choose a movie for us to watch if we were hanging out some night. Viva La Difference!

Ok this one almost made me spit out my beverage in a sudden fit of laughter!

I'd probably say exactly the same thing about Bruce...  The truth is there are most likely thousands of movies that we would both thoroughly enjoy watching together.  we'd just have to go to "ye ol' video store"  together in order to come to an agreement... 

I've got a mental picture of the two of us each holding a movie, looking for all the world like two gunmen:

"I'll put mine down if you put your's down" 
"Ok, you go first"
"No, you go first"
"Fine we'll go together... On three"

:~)
Singing is like love,  it should come from the heart, without fear of reproach or rejection

werewoof

• Host
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
So Tom...  Are you a fan of Morel Mushrooms?

I'm trying to time my upcoming Iowa trip to coincide with morel season.

tomac

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »
Unlike my wife, I'm very phobic of all mushrooms, but then I'm very picky about food in general. If you do set up a trip here give me a couple weeks notice and we'll try to arrange a karaoke meet-up if you're anywhere near Ames or Des Moines.

Jubi

• Host
  • Prolific Cerebrationist Zentimetre Ruler
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »
Ummmmm....lol.  This nice and unhateful conservative shys away from the discussion. 

Bruce, Thank you for your kind and respectful attitude on people's differing views.  It is greatly appreciated.

Have a beautiful day everyone :D
To accept yourself is to love yourself :)

walkingstick

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »

Don't worry Tom
I'm still in there making sure there are
a few of us liberals in the forums at Snap.
I just choose my battles.

Given the beating I took
the last time I was in the gay threads
(and from a so-called liberal no less)
I doubt I would enter the fray if the topic came up.

Oops, I think I just lied . . . how could I resist
such a topic LOL.

Anyway, I'm here
and I'm there too.
An interesting contrast for sure.   ;-)

BronxBruce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »

Don't worry Tom
I'm still in there making sure there are
a few of us liberals in the forums at Snap.
I just choose my battles.

Given the beating I took
the last time I was in the gay threads
(and from a so-called liberal no less)
I doubt I would enter the fray if the topic came up.

Oops, I think I just lied . . . how could I resist
such a topic LOL.

Anyway, I'm here
and I'm there too.
An interesting contrast for sure.   ;-)

Yes, not sure why anyone should have to "take a beating" for expressing their opinions.

werewoof

• Host
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »
Yup....

I'm still trying to figure out which of the ten commandments says:

"Thou shalt at all times be intolerant and hateful of those different from thyself"

because of all the proclamations out of the bible, that's the one that I see followed more religiously than all the others combined. 

It's sad really.

walkingstick

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »
I simply had to post this
as it just seems so fitting sometimes
especially over on the threads at Snap
where it was posted on one of the political threads:

LOLOLOLOLOL!

CerebralJam

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 09:01:48 PM »
Love it Deb!   :D

tomac

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 10:38:07 PM »
I simply had to post this
as it just seems so fitting sometimes
especially over on the threads at Snap
where it was posted on one of the political threads:

LOLOLOLOLOL!

Thanks for posting that Deb. On the one hand the cartoon is so Lol funny on the mark. On the other hand it is just as often depressingly true, at least for me, in how at times I've taken myself way too seriously about debating political stuff on the net along with over-estimating, as jardi says, the relative importance of what most people (including pundits) say on the net. esp. what's said on message boards.

Sandysongbird

• Host
  • Prolific Cerebrationist Zentimetre Ruler
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 11:00:53 PM »
I just need to say...I really like Woody Allen movies!!

Edited to say...
     Oops, just realized that I was thinking of Marty Feldman...I love movies in which Marty Feldman performed.  Hehe, now I feel kinda silly.  But I do like some Woody Allen movies too.

And now...shying away like Jubi.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:49:40 AM by Sandysongbird »

werewoof

• Host
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 02:07:55 AM »
Hey now.....  Some of my best friends like Woody Allen movies....

;~)

walkingstick

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »
Heheheh.   Looks like if I were to get married to another woman
not eveyone here would give their blessing.

Ah well, ..... c'est la vie.  ;-)

But Woof, as for Woody Allen
.... not a fan at all.   ;-)))

werewoof

• Host
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 02:43:32 AM »
Well all I can say is:  If you ever do get married, I dammmm well better be invited!

but I'm warning you in advance.. you're getting a crock pot...  Everybody does...That's always been my stock wedding gift.   Actually  there's kind of a cute story behind that...

;~)